I think that Sundays in Paris are going to be my favorite. Nearly everything is closed on Sunday (thanks to a good socialist country) giving people the day to be with family and take it easy. It is the perfect time to sight see because the streets are empty and it is very quiet. Peace in a big city, if you will. The first photo is a photo of a statue commemorating la Bastille, where the French Revolution began. It was here where the prison (la Bastille) stood, when the people revolted against the government and destroyed the prison, releasing the prisonners who were locked up for arbitrary charges, or for no reason at all. The second photo is the perfect example of the many hidden courtyards throughout the city. Many of the courtyards are located inside places that are named les hôtels particuliers that date from the 16th and 17th centuries. Many nobles owned these not so tiny buildings, lavished in spoils and quite extravegant. I want to be a noble...
The last photo is St. Paul's cathedrale (I'm 90% sure) with reminents of a wall dating to the middle ages when Paris was a fortified city...History is alive and well here, reminding me how young our country really is. I must admit that this information is brought to you by a true-blooded Parisian family friend of Jacque's, who is also a history buff, and was kind enough to walk me around Paris yesterday giving me details on the history that I have studied for so long. I only wish that i could convey the awe that I have when I see these places (I do hide my drool, however, in front of my tour guides).
2 commentaires:
yeah, much better than football sunday
I'm envious! Paris is beautiful! I can't wait to visit again!
Enregistrer un commentaire